Joining Upward Bound Shelton
Upward Bound (UB) is an academic and college preparatory program funded by the US Department of Education. The purpose of UB is to develop the skills and motivation necessary for students to successfully complete high school and to enter and succeed in college.
Students are part of Upward from the day they are accepted (generally 9th grade) until they leave Shelton High School. We continue to track students for up to 9 years after graduation. This is so we can report to the Department of Education student outcomes, i.e. did you graduate?
Services We Provide:
- Tutoring – After school and in class
- Academic Advising
- Navigating the College Process
- College and Cultural Field Trips
- Financial Literacy
- Understanding Financial aid and applying for scholarships
Want to be a part of Upward Bound?
Because Upward Bound is federally funded, we only serve 65 students. Students must apply and qualify for the program, having a 2.5 or higher GPA and by demonstrating how Upward Bound would be a resource for you in attending college.
In order to apply:
How To Complete an Upward Bound Application
Before you begin you will need your SSN, if either of your parents graduated with a bachelor’s degree, and your family income.
Create an Upward Bound Account:
- Open to the application . You can use any username you like. Make sure write down your username and password so you don’t forget them. Also you CANNOT use a Shelton High School email.
- Once you create an account you will receive an email verification. Open your email and look in your inbox and junk folder. It can take up to 30 minutes to send the verification email. Click the link and verify your account.
- Enter your username and password and log into the application.
Start the Application:
- Please select the program you are applying to Select Upward Bound
- Please select your Upward Bound location Select Upward Bound Shelton
- Click Next
- Check and make sure your name is correct in the system.
- Enter the city you were born in.
- My birth US State: If you were not born in the United States you can leave this blank.
- Legally assigned sex. Select Male, Female, or X.
- I identify my gender as: You can leave this blank if it is the same as your assigned sex.
- I agree to receive text messages: Only Upward Bound staff will be texting you. If you do not want to receive text messages, we will call you instead.
- Social Security Number: We need this because we pay you money.