Summer Learning Institute 2021
Thank you for your interest in the Upward Bound 2021 Summer Learning Institute! This is an investment in each student’s future success. This year the program will run from Wednesday, June 23 until Wednesday, July 28th at The Evergreen State College in Olympia. Bus transportation will be be provided. There will be no program on July 5th, due to the holiday. *We have a total of 30 openings this summer. Applications can be found online here.
Due to COVID-19 concerns, this will be a Hybrid program. Students will be split into two groups and will alternate between in-person classes at The Evergreen State College and online Zoom classes. There will be no residential stay this year or overnight field trips.
Benefits of The Summer Learning Institute
In the most recent years, Upward Bound has sent hundreds of students directly into four-year colleges. The program has a nearly 80% college going rate among the most recent graduates. Our students have attended Stanford University, Columbia University, Brown University, Northwestern University, Pacific Lutheran University, Central Washington University, University of Washington, and The Evergreen State College among others. This program is 100% funded by the Dept. of Education. There is no cost to families.
Over the course of the summer program students will have the opportunity to earn up to one high school elective credit, a large stipend (at least $500), and a spot on our end of summer college tour. Students can earn these rewards by attending class every day, participating in classes and workshops, completing assignments, and being a positive influence in the program.
- Turn dreams into goals and goals into success.
- Take classes to better prepare them for math, science, literature, writing, and world language.
- Learn to work together and build positive relationships.
- Research colleges as appropriate for their grade level.
- Provide service to the community.
- Understand other cultures and engage in anti-racist practices.
- Develop job skills and create a resume.
- Create a personal statement based on understanding of self.
- Practice Life Skills